Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME B31.3 Process Piping Code 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvanH

Mechanical
Mar 7, 2003
US
The above is a code that our products haven't been asked to meet before, but we have a customer who wants to specify it. Without going out to buy it and read it front to back, can anyone give a very brief synopsis of what kinds of things it requires?
Is it, for example, a code that specifies Stainless Steel Piping, a particular pipe schedule, or types of connection fittings that may be used?
Is it something that would apply to potable water systems, or only in closed loop piping such as boiler systems, or process heating?

Thanks for any general clues as to what's in ASME B31.3
Evan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

EvanH;
If your customer is requesting fabrication of their piping to this Standard, I would strongly suggest you purchase it, review it and understand what is required. There is not enough space in this forum to provide a decent summary.

I agree that you should probably purchase it...briefly though it gives guidance on everything that you would deal with in a Process Piping system:

Welding
Materials
Fittings and other components
Pressure Tests
Stress Analysis and Support
Gaskets
Thermal Expansion
Pressure Relief Piping

There is also 31.1 which would deal more with the boiler and water systems you were talking about. They are similar in scope just specific for the fluid application.

Hey Guys, throw me a bone here - I'm just trying to see if we're going to buy this code and try to meet it, or if it's clearly outside of our realm. We typically build piping skids with galvanized steel schedule 40 pipe, and threaded 150# fittings.

Can you tell me if B31.3 is a spec that would prohibit using these types of components for carrying potable water at pressures below 125 PSI?

We get customers that frequently ask for codes that don't even bear a passing relation to the product we provide, so it's hard to justify going out and buying every one we're asked about, if we're never going to build to it.

Again, thanks for any clues you can give as to the contents.

No, ASME B31.3 does not prohibit use of these components for carrying water at 125 psi. The scope of this Process Piping Code covers to name a few fluids - water, steam, air or gas at or above 15 psig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back