AlbeBersani

Mechanical
Mar 1, 2021
IT
Dear all,

my first time here.
I try with an argument maybe obvius for the most of you,
but intresting for me in order to understand what is mandatory
for the Code and what is better for the equipment.

We are talking about:
- Pipe API 5L X65 M (Thermomecanical), O.D.1219, Wth.45mm
- Wear Pad, Rolled Palte ASTM A860 WPHY 65 QT, Wth.23mm
- Welded togheter by Fillet Weld with leg size of 18/20 mm

Equipment to be supplied is asked impact tested and Stress Relieved acc.to ASME B31.8.

1. Do the PQR used to support WPS need to be qualifed with impact test?
2. Do this above welds to be Stress Relieved ?

Thanks for feedback,

Alberto Bersani

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@ r6155

Did you have an answear to my question ?

If yes and if you want to share all your wisdom, please proceed with sharing and I will be be very grateful for your help, otherwise please do not put unusefull comment.

Thanks

Thank you very much Sir,

I try with question 3 because you disint' answear to question 1 and 2
if you have time to gift to me, you can answear to them.

What I need to clarify is if a wear pad fllet weld to shell is to be considered like a pressure groove weld full penetration or is to be consider and attachment weld.
If the equipment requires impact test, also this attachment weld requires impact test (then I need to qualify a butt weld coupon in order to carry out impact test specimens)?
If Stress relieved is required above thickness 32mm, these 32mm are referred to base metal or are referred to effettive thickness of weld deposit ?
Or I only need to consider the para 825.5(b) and the only "essential variable" is the leg of fillet to governe PWHT ?

Preheat (50°C minimum) is done on all Carbon Steel plates and pipes above 15mm thickness as per our internal standard practice.

P.S. Plate used for Wear Pad is rolled and then Qunched and Tempered with the same chemical and mechanical caracteristic of a fitting ASTM A860 WPHY65.

Thank you again for your time.

Now you add questions 4, 5, 6 and 7.
You are a bit confused and unsure.
You need to add some effort for reading and understand the codes.

I copy sentence from saplanti (Mechanical) “I suggest you talk to a professional for design issues. You are asking for help to design, not some details to discuss”
Sorry.

Regards

Dear Sir,

I'm just a poor engineer who makes drawings and calculations of fittings and pressure vessels.

I signed up here because I see that there are some intresting discussions on various topics also sometimes connected to my work.

If it is so difficult to have an answer to a fairly detailed question, I will pick up your suggestion and I will ask to a professional, somewhere else.

P.S. questions 4, 5, 6, 7 are the same as question 1 and question 2,
the argument remains 2:
- impact test on fillet weld
- stress relieving on Wear Pad to Shell

However, no problem.
Maybe somewhere, someone could help me.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back