Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME B36.19M (Stainles steel pipe) is not shown as reference on Section VIII Div 1, 20015 Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

aard

Mechanical
Mar 1, 2016
US
Hi Guys,

I'm working with ASME Section VIII Div 1, 2015 Ed and it has caught my attention when on the table U-3(Year of Acceptable Edition of Referenced Standards) I did not find ASME B36.19M (Stainles steel pipe).

a) What does this mean?
b) Was ASME B36.19M (Stainles steel pipe) on Section VIII Div 1 previous edition? If the answer is yes, why is not shown on 2015 edition?
b) Is Acceptable to use ASME B36.19M for pipe dimensions according to Section VIII Div 1?
c) Should I use ASME B36.10M (Welded and Seamless Wrought Pipe) even when I'm working with stainless steel pipe? ASME B36.10M(Latest edition) is shown on table U-3.
d) Is this just a mistake? And, ASME B36.19M shall be on Table U-3 of ASME Section VIII Div 1?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From my records B36.19 has never been in Table U-3 but I don't think Table U-3 is intended to be an exhaustive list of all acceptable standards just those referenced throughout the rest of Div 1 for their use.

In the scope of B36.19 it states that the sizes in B36.10 are also readily available for SS pipe. Note that some of the thicknesses for a given diameter and schedule in B36.19 and those in B36.10 do not directly align, see note 2 in B36.19.

If the design is acceptable to VIII-1 I can't see why it wouldn't be permitted.

Thanks Ben.

I agree whith your point, U-3 is about referenced standards an not necesarily the only acceptable standards.

It´s logical to me using B36.19 latest edition, also with others ASME standards that are not in U-3, even whe the code doesn't stablish an specific edition. I'm not sure that the code says something about this case.

ASME VIII/1 give a reference to the applicable material spec. and ASME B36.19 is mentioned on the applicable material specification e.g. ASME IIA Edition 2017, SA-312 Standard Specification for Seamless, Welded, and Heavily Cold Worked Austenitic Stainless Steel Pipes.
See 2. 2. Referenced Documents:
B36.10 Welded and Seamless Wrought Steel Pipe
B36.19 Stainless Steel Pipe

In addition Paragraph 9. Permitted Variations in Wall Thickness gives a refrence to Table X1.1 based on Table number 1 of B16.19

Regards - Juergen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back