ASME Code Stamp Required ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJCronin

Mechanical
Apr 9, 2001
US
hello all,

I have asked this question before (in other forums) and gotten a variety or responses, none satisfactory....

My question is about a new component in a process facility. I am not sure if it will require an ASME Code "stamp" and National Board Certification or not...

The "tank" (really a reactor)is 6 ft dia. 10 feet SS and operates at a maximum of 12 psig. However, it also has a half-pipe jacket that will operate at about 100 psig (400F).

The tank will have a modest vacuum of -10 inches WC....

The "tank" will be designed and constructed to ASME VIII - Section I.

My question is this: Does the jacket pressure/ temperature require this "tank" to be a stamped, ASME vessel ? If so, can someone point me to the chapter, verse, and/or code case that confirms this ???!!

MJC

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The jacket is a vessel having an inside diameter ... or cross section diagonal not exceeding 6 in.: that's why (per U-1) is not within the scope of ASME VIII Div.1.
prex
motori@xcalcsREMOVE.com
Online tools for structural design

I think I erased all my work, I will try again.
Yes you need atamping if the 100psi jacket has a crosssection of bigger than 6 inches and press >15psi
read the preamble of Sec VIII-1 it is very clear.
Elmer.

Above answers are correct for US installations; in Canada the jacket must be registered; as a 'FITTING' if its hold-up volume is less than 1.5 cu. ft, as a 'VESSEL' otherwise.

There is also another important point: the effect of 100 psig jacket pressure on the reator wall. That is, your vessel will not only operate at 12 psig internal pressure, but at a 88 psig EXTERNAL PRESSURE(100 psig - 12 psig).

As far as I remember (I do not have a Code Book handy) Section VIII provides requirements applicable to the design, fabrication, inspection, testing, and certification of pressure vessels operating at either internal or external pressures exceeding 15 psig, but less than 3000 psig. Therefore, this vessel must be stamped.

I hope this comment will hepl you.

Regards.
JFY

jfi, this does not apply to half-pipe jackets. The vessel wall forming part of the jacket pressure boundary can be designed per UG-47 of the ASME Code (stayed surface); the vessel is NOT under an external pressure of 88psig, as you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back