Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME DIv. 1 vs Div. 2 Flange Stress Factor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanimal

Mechanical
Oct 16, 2006
CA
Hi I have an excel program to do Appendix 2 flange calculations. I have read that Div. 2 2010 includes external loading into its calculations and I would like to integrate that into my spreadsheet. Most equations are the same but I have noticed that V = flange stress factor / factor / hub factor for integral type flanges is different from Div. 1 and Div. 2. I appears that the Div. 2 committee has just run a curve fit to try to simplify the Div. 1 calculations for V, can someone confirm this? Also Div. 2 limits V for h/ho values of 0.1 to 2 which is not in Div. 1 does this matter?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASME Section VIII Division 1 and Division 2 are two different Code divisions with different assumptions and requirements. You either design by Division 1 or do the detailed analysis by Division 2. You don't combine them.

This thread explains some of the basic philosophy differences: thread794-63572

also thread794-281698

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Yes, I can confirm that as part of the effort to remove graphical approaches from the code and make it more computer program friendly, they curve fit the old equations with new ones. The accuracy of the new equations is within about 3% across to full range of the variables, so if you compare calcs using both the old and new approaches, then you will get some small differences. But in the big scheme of things, about the same. Although other parts of Div1 and Div2 flange analysis are now different, the calculation of the flange factors is still "identical", while taking a different form. The new equations offer no improvement over the old ones (other than being more succinct).

Thanks,

I did compare the two but noticed outside the h/ho range there was a large difference between the Div. 1 and 2 equations. Within the range they are fairly close as you have noted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back