Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME Flange Fabrication 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MecEngSelli

Mechanical
Jan 13, 2016
BR
Good morning,

I need to fabricate some ASME Flanges B 16.5 and i can't find where in the ASME code it says if i can build from a whole plate (one single disc) or if i can fabricate with crankshaft method.
The diameter i must build is something near Ø600mm

Can anyone help me point the area where it specifies?
(i annexed an image to help the understanding)
Thanks in Advance!

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=78cdb2c0-b64f-4218-a8a0-35bb1634ce51&file=Sem_título.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MecEngSelli, can't see the image, but, from B16.5, 5.1 "... plate materials shall be used only for blind flanges and reducing flanges without hubs."

What is "crankshaft method"? What does "near 600mm" mean?

And why make a B16.5 flange in the first place? They are widely available.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

URL]

SnTMan this is the image, english is not my mother tongue, so i do not know how to spell the word to fabricate a flange in the methode as stated in the image above,
The near 600mm was supposed to mean a 24" flange for a manway,
And by building it from plate, was because of lack of time to buy from vendors and we have plates to spare in stock.

Sorry if i was a little bit confusing,

Thanks in advance!

MecEngSelli, if you are working to Sec VIII, Div.1, I'd recommend to design and fabricate your flange to Appendix 2, as a slip on type, to B16.5 diametral dimensions. ID as required and OD and bolt circle and pattern per what ever rating you need to use. Thickness likely would be greater than B16.5 flange.

You could weld from sections as shown, but I personally would prefer single piece. Usually less expensive without the welding and NDE.

You cannot just make it from plate and call it a B16.5 flange.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

to my limited knowledge, I agree with Mike, design to appendix 2 as loose ring type flange. I don't think B16.5 allow to use plate material for slip on flange. I prefer in one piece, no only cheaper for labor & NDE, but also if welded it is hard to control the plate flatness, unless both side is machined after welding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back