Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME PCC-1 Appendix O: Lap Joint Flanges

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJLis

Mechanical
Jun 22, 2018
US
I'm working on calculating torque values for B16.5 lap joints. Bolt stress limits are given for weldneck and slip-on flanges in PCC-1 Appendix O, but not for lap joints. WRC Bulletin 538 is mentioned as a resource in O-5.1. It is entirely possible that I'm misinterpreting the code.

1) Does WRC Bulletin 538 provide equations ( I don't have FEA analysis available) to calculate bolt stresses for lap joint flanges?
2) Where can I find bolt stress values for lap joints if WRC Bulletin 538 does not provide direction?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

WRC-538 is based on ASME VIII Division 1 Appendix 2 with some small differences that are detailed therein. Simplistically it replaces the ASME material allowable stress with yield (or multiples there of depending on type of stress) and calculates max assembly load using Appendix 2 methods.

It's primarily focused on hub type integral flanges, however, the basic theory could be used in a similar way to assess lap-joint flanges (although I've not had to do this).

Fundamentally, the basic research has just not been done on lap joint flanges, to the extent that you seem to be looking for it.

Unfortunately, for the time being, you're on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back