Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME Section 8 Div 1 vs Div 2 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

tothepoint

Mechanical
Mar 31, 2003
US
Can someone familiar with both Div 1 and Div 2 design rules please give me a short explanation of the intent/use of each of these? i.e., when to use Div 1 rules and when to use Div 2 rules? I'm not a pressure vessel designer, but work with vessels, and I hear refences to each of these and want to be more informed. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you make an advanced search on this site by using Div.2 as the keyword you'll get a lot of stuff to read on the subject.
In short: Div.1 provides simple design rules at the expense of a heavier vessel, Div.2 requires more detailed calculations, making the design cost more but allowing higher stresses, so that, for complex or large vessels, the overall cost will be lower. Both, as any standard, try to keep low the industrial costs for different classes of vessels, still maintaining an acceptable level of safety.

prex

Online tools for structural design

prex's interpretation is correct. Also, be advised that Sec. VIII Div.1 is intended for pressures below 3000 psi; beyond that ' deviations from and additions to the rules apply' meaning compliance with Div. 2 is required.

Guys-

Division 1 may be used for cryogenic vessels.

Division 1 considers fatigue. See the previous threads where this was discussed in detail.

jt

Regarding the comment made on use of VIII-2 for cryogenic vessels, please note that the toughness rules in VIII-1 & VIII-2 are identical. Further, VIII-1 contains rules in Part ULT which are specifically written for vessels in cryogenic service.

RE: Fatigue Design - This is a great misconception regarding VIII-1 & VIII-2. Paragraph UG-22 in VIII-1 lists all loads that must be considered in design, including cyclic service. Just because VIII-1 does not does not provide mandatory rules for fatigue design does not mean that this loading condition can be ignored. Where mandatory rules do not exist, then U-2(g) applies.

I think all of you are missing the most basic difference. The basic difference between section VIII Div 1 and Div 2, Div 3 is that Div 1 is a Code with design rules that are based on experience and Div 2 and 3 are based on design by
analysis.

In other words whe the Code was written it was well known that if you made a weld of a certian size it would give you satisfactory results. Also when Section VIII was origonaly written it had a safety factor of 5 it was lowered to 4 in the 1950's or 60's and was changed a few years ago to 3.5 and was given the term Design Margin.

Div. 2 are made for specific purpose, for specific location, and the vessel cannot be put into different service nor in different location without going through a recertification process.

I have spreadsheet for ASME Sect. VIII, both Div. 1 and Div. 2 Calculations. Perhaps I can share.......

MarcoE-

Division 2 is by no means limited to vessels over 3000 psi. There are many, many vessels built to Div. 2 which have "ordinary" design pressures. I was heavily involved with one a few years ago which had a design pressure of 200 psi at 300°F. Just take a look a AG-100(a): "... The rules of this Division, taken as a whole, provide an alternative to the minimum construction requirements for the design, fabrication, inspection, and certification of pressure vessels falling within the scope of Division 1." It is an *alternative* to every vessel within the scope of Div. 1. Design pressure does not play a role in its applicability.

jt

Another difference between both divisions is the failure theory.
Div. 1 uses max principal stress menwhile div.2 uses max shear stress (Tresca).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back