Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME Section 8 or B31.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonicaLee

Mechanical
Jan 3, 2005
US
We are a U.S. company tried to register with the Canadian Registration Number (CRN). Last week, CRN asked us to provide calculation on our fittings (Oil Wells) products; measuring devices: pressure gauges, level gauges, level or pressure transmitters.
We are confused and would like to ask your expertise and experience how to calculate for the strength of material, I assume that involves with Mininum Tensile and Mininum Yield. Can someone please help or refer to a website that helps to explain the requirements. We are currently having no engineer on our staff, our products was made from reverse engineering and field experience. Again, thank you so much for your valuable time and concern.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, you also sound confused by your post. Fittings are normally purchased to ASME/ANSI Standards to assure adequate design and safe service. Fittings cannot simply be "reverse engineered", and meet ASME/ANSI Standards.

If you are designing your own "custom" fittings, you will need to have engineering expertise to assure proper selection of material, and to demonstrate adequacy of design. I would go back to the regulatory body in Canada and have them explain to you what you need to become registered. They should be able to provide this information in writing to you. If you don't understand their technical requirements, you should hire outside expertise.

Not only will you need to meet the engineering requirements of ASME/ANSI, but you will likely need proof testing of the fittings to the appropriate standard. I suggest you contact a competent testing laboratory to help you through the process.

metengr & Ron,

I would like to thank you to take your valuable time, I contacted ABSA yesterday, and they are helping me to put together the packages.

I believe that CSA International can now register components in all jurisdictions in Canada at once. I don't know of anyone who has done this, but it might by worth your time to investigate this option if you plan on selling accross the country.

For everyone's info: CRN is governed by CSA B51. By checking the CSA (Canadian Standards Association) B51, you will find that if the design is in compliance with the applicable ASME Codes and standards you should be able to meet registration requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back