Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME Section VIII Div. 2 - Internal Piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

JXWu

Petroleum
Oct 26, 2015
TH
Dear experts,
I am working on a spherical pressure vessel constructed to ASME VIII Div. 2.
Min. Design metal temp. is -45°C.
There are several nozzles at the top of the vessel. One of them is a nozzle for a level transmitter with a stilling well that goes into the vessel.
My question is: do the welded joints below the nozzle fall under ASME Section VIII Div. 2?
I have attached a sketch for reference.
Thanks and regards,
WuJX

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=4472ee6e-93ef-46eb-8f69-98da36c61041&file=Drawing1.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The code only applies to the vessels themselves; internals are not part of the code. However, the code is usually used as a guideline for the design of internal equipment. It is up to the engineers/company to deicide if the additional costs of code compliance (like impact testing) are worth it.

CKerr, thanks for your response.

See ASME VIII Div 2
1.2.3 (b) Where non-pressure parts are welded directly to either the internal or external pressure-retaining surface of a
pressure vessel, the scope of this Division shall include the design, fabrication, testing, and material requirements established for non-pressure-part attachments by the applicable paragraphs of this Division (see 4.2.5.6).

Please, use your engineering judgement.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back