ASME thick wall expansion joint material 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quentin Nguyen

Industrial
Apr 20, 2023
VN
Dear engineers,
It is the first time I design a thick wall expansion joint follow ASME sec VIII div 1 to get U Stamp for the heat exchanger.
I am confusing the material use for calculate and fabricate the expansion joint.
Is it SA-240 304 or SA-182 F 304?
I'm using SA-182, but the search result on the internet show SA-240 (plate type).
Dose someone here has experience on this part?
Thank you so much for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Quentin Nguyen, thick walled joints are generally formed from plate material. Usually match the shell metallurgy, although need not necessarily.

First time huh? I'd just advise you they can be difficult to design and its possible it cannot be made to work in a given design, in which case use of a thin (bellows) joint must be investigated.

Best of luck :)

MIke

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

The SA-240 and SA182 are the Codes of the similar material and used fir the different production methods.
Based on the process design condition, i.e. process, P&T, etc., the vendor may propose the suitable expansion joint with the proper thickness and correct material Code.

Quentin Nguyen, you should challenge them on this. If your supplier doesn't know the difference between plate and forging, you need a new supplier :)

"They make me wonder this can be made in forged condition."

I suppose it's possible, but in 25 years in the biz, I never saw it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back