ASME-U for LH2 strage tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasutasu

Mechanical
Feb 2, 2019
JP
Dear sir,

If we supply the LH2 strage tank for liquid hydrogen station of car in USA, Dose we need to get ASME-U STAMP in order to maufacture the tank?
(or is necessity of ASME-U decided as per state law?[for exsample, California is needed, but Florida is notneeded])

Could you please advise me.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check the state legislation. Get a hold of NBIC NB-370 and find out.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

There is a rather small group of people that build most of the cryo gas tanks in the US.
People like MVE and Chart.
These rules should be generally available.
Even though I have used LH2 tanks in three different states they were supplied by my gas supplier, and I don't recall any stamping.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

ds on size, pressure and possibly temperature.

Do you mean liquid hydrogen at -253C? and virtually no pressure or something else?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Dear all

Thank you for your reply.

I see NB-370 and almost state require ASME.

So I cofirm it to ANI.

THe following is tank spec.

Press: 0.98 MPa
Temp:-253℃~+40℃

Those conditions look correct (150psi), so Code it is.
But I don't really know which part of the Code would apply.

Also you wouldn't store very much hydrogen at 9.8 bar....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Hydrogen tanks in the US would normally be manufactured by someone like Chart or Taylor Wharton. Inner vessel is normally an ASME stamped vessel and outer vessel (vacuum jacket) isn't. Off the shelf design pressure is usually 175 psig until size dictates a lower design pressure. Code cases I've seen normally referenced are like ASME BPVC VIII D1 (generally) and Mandatory Appendix 44 (Cold Stretch).

I believe credit in ASME for cold stretching cannot be used when MDMT is below -320F, as the case is with LH2 tanks (-425F).

I've seen some 150 and mostly 175 psig MAWP LH2 tanks in service. Obviously the tank operating pressure is much less than that under normal circumstances.

Not only do you have to worry about getting a U stamped tank, but you also need to remember the siting requirements per NFPA 2.

----------------------------------
Not making a decision is a decision in itself

Our tanks were 125psi service, with 175psi relief.
That let us run 100psi house pressure and keep the lines reasonably small since we only needed 5,000SCFH.
The inner tanks and the piping are usually all austenitic SS.
The outer vacuum shell is CS.
One of the real tricks is how you support the inner tank.
It needs enough support, but you have to allow for thermal expansion and minimize heat transfer.
I believe that vacuum space in the H2 tanks were vermiculite filled like the others.
Siting not only needs to follow NFPA but in many places there are additional local rules.
One of our tanks had serious bollards around it because it was near a traffic path.

For vermiculite, you are referring to perlite which was used with a lot of older cryo tank vacuum space designs. Almost all modern cryo tank designs use aluminized mylar MLI insulation instead as the net heat load is much less.

----------------------------------
Not making a decision is a decision in itself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back