ASME VIII DIV 1 - Consumable Pre-Test UHA51

Status
Not open for further replies.

PVTC

Mechanical
Nov 13, 2014
GB
Hi,

Wondering if any one can help on the following matter.

We’ve been asked to construct a vessel with a MDMT of -196 deg c constructed from SA240. Welding consumables are AWS 5.9 and AWS 5.22 308l. After reading through UHA51 numerous times I have come to the conclusion that we are required to perform pre use testing on the wire batches. In other words toughness testing on them both and achieve lateral expansions equal to or greater than 0.38.

However our inspector is requesting that we also perform tensions and bends as part of the pre use test. I have read over subsections ug, uw, and uha, can’t seem to find where he isn’t pulling this request from.

If any one has any ideas I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DEAR PVTC
You need to satisfy all the conditions UHA-51(f)(1) thru UHA-51(f)(4).
Since you are using GTAW, UHA-51(f)(1) is satisfied
You need to have PQR done with impact tests to satisfy UHA-51(f)(2)
Since you are using ER308L, UHA-51(f)(3) is satisfied
For GTAW, applicable paragraph is UHA-51(f)(4)(-e) which states that ER308L may be used WITHOUT PRE USE TESTING of each heat and/or lot, provided that procedure qualification impact testing in accordance with UG-84(h) have been performed.

You have two choices
Make PQR with impact tests at -196C, get exemption from pre-use test for ER308L. However you will need a production impact test as per UHA-51(h)(2)(-b).
Alternatively Make PQR with impact tests at -196C, also perform pre-use tests and get exemptions from production impact tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back