Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME VIII - Div. 1 UG-37 with hydraulic test pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muruep00

Civil/Environmental
Oct 16, 2023
DE
I am doing reinforcement pad calculations for nozzles with 0.05MPa design internal pressure with ASME VIII - Div. 1 2017.

My input data from client specifies a test pressure requirement of 0.15MPa internal pressure (I know its hydraulic test).

Should I consider 0.15MPa or 0.05MPa in UG-37 reinforcement pad calculations?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Design for the design pressure.

Then check at this ridiculous x 3 DP hydrotest pressure to see if you're overstressed.

Does the client do this for everything? So if you have a 50 bar vessel and then you teat at 150bar?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

r6155 said:
Please, read again UG-99(c) and try to understand.
I recommend this special test as best practice. Always.

I read UG-99 and still don't known whether if I should use design or test pressure in UG-37 / UG-45 when test pressure is 3 times the design pressure as stated by client.

LittleInch said:
Design for the design pressure.

Then check at this ridiculous x 3 DP hydrotest pressure to see if you're overstressed.

Does the client do this for everything? So if you have a 50 bar vessel and then you teat at 150bar?

Yes, UG-37 requirements of nozzle thickness are greater for test pressure than design pressure.

Yes, that's the client requirement.

david339933 said:
Your vessel must be awfully thin or huge diameter to need a repad for 7psi.

Yes, its over 1 meter diameter.

"Huge is over 5m....

How big?

So what's the impact of designing for 1.5 bar vs 0.5 bar?

LittleInch said:
"Huge is over 5m....

How big?

So what's the impact of designing for 1.5 bar vs 0.5 bar?

Four meters. The impact is an increase in nozzle required nozzle thickness as per UG-37.

The question is simple, should I use design or test pressure in UG-37 / UG-45 when test pressure is 3 times the design pressure as stated by client?

Let your computer work.
Use pressure test in UG-37 with corrosion = 0 and check if the nozzle is reinforced.
If yes, use a design pressure as test pressure/ 1,3.

This check is for all the pressure parts.

Regards

And try to educate the client that TP of DP*3 is a bit high and results in increased cost for no benefit.

Also if you set the DP to be higher than 0.5 bar, will the client just keep increasing the TP?
Or has he set a TP of 1.5 bar?

I've learnt that ASME VIII has no upper test pressure limit which I didn't know before and looks like you're suffering the consequences of that.

So you're in a strange place and therefore r6155 suggestion of design to PT pressure with no corrosion looks to me the best one. But you will also need to do that for the whole vessel and its components / shell design etc. Could make a big difference or no difference. Depends on what the calculation spits out.

Please let us know.

Example:
1)Required thickness (design pressure): 2.5mm
Allowable corrosion: 2 mm
Actual thickness: 9.5 mm.
9.5/2.5= 3.8
2) DP x 1.3= test pressure is insignificant
This pressure tickles the equipment.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back