Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME VIII safety valves in an ASME I constructed power boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashaari

Mechanical
Dec 17, 2008
US
Dear all,

Can we install ASME VIII safety valves in an ASME I constructed power boiler?

I'm commissioning an ASME I power boiler and our safety valve manufacturer have difficulty in achieving re-seat 4% below set pressure. The best we achieve so far is 7% below set pressure, and now the debate is that the safety valves are at least meeting ASME VIII requirement, hence seeking a compromise to accept the valves. Just fyi, the 7% below set pressure is still above our max operating temp.

Thanks for your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How could the manufacturer have difficulties achieving 4% blowdown? It's either an ASME I certified safety valve or it's not. If you asked for an ASME I certified valve and the manufacturer delivered an ASME VIII I would expect them to replace it. What kind of valve are we talking about here, does it meet the 3% criteria (certified capacity at 3% above set pressure)?

It meets the 3% above set pressure criteria with ease. But yes, we're demanding the manufacturer to replace the safety valves to replace since it doesn't meet our requirement. I just wanted to double check if there is such thing as ASME VIII PSV in an ASME I boiler, because I have not heard of it before. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back