Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME VIII welding Accepatnce

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaqesmith

Materials
Jul 13, 2013
JP
Please help me in following issues
1-what is acceptance crietria of welding(pin holes, undercut) according to section VIII div 1 and where it is written.
2-if a welder is fail to pass a test, what is time after which we can held test for him and what will be requirements.(without considering immediate test peragraph of QW-320 ASME IX)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you look at UW-30 through UW- 37 for information regarding undercut or as they call it "reduction in thickness". best bet is to follow section IX for those re-test requirements.

sec IX only defines acc. criteria for qualification welding, not for production welding, as it's not a construction Code, but a supporting Code, so to say.
your design Code (VIII-1) will tell you what's acceptable.

pin holes may not be addressed in VIII-1 explicitly, but are never acceptable (how can you accept a leaking weld?).

XL83NL
Pinhole porosity is simply porosity open to the surface and is often permitted with limitations. With the exception of thin welds, they most likely will not be the source of leakage. Ref. ASME B31.1 sections 136.4.2, 136.4.3, 136.4.4. ASME VIII,Div.1 Appendix 6 & 8. ASME B31.3 Table 341.3.2 only prohibits surface porosity for weld thickness < or = 3/16".

stanweld, I once again stand corrected. thanks for your clarification.
the way Im used to address/define a pinhole is that it's a very tiny hole (or say tunnel) with an alsmost invisible diameter, going straight through the complete weld metal thickness, making an opening from the inside to the outside.
I guess my definition has to be adjusted in terms of Code definitions.

@drumsdw
dear secttion 9 tells method to qualify a welder immediately after failure in his first test
i am asking about time after which he can b qualified without doubling test specimens. i have not found any statement about this issue. if you know it please share reference

blaqesmith,
The duration of "Further training" is for you to decide as the employer.
It can be 1 hour, 1 day or 1 week.
The code committee cannot put a fixed duration on time because some welders may require much more time than others to correct their technique.
Regards,
DD

The ASME code does not state per say any verbage of recommended training hours. It could be anywhere from a one hour course to a 40 hour training program. Depending on the process and variables you as an employer determines the appropriate training. Sorry for skipping the question previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back