Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME Y14.43 VS. DIN 7162

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appl3E14159

Mechanical
Dec 5, 2013
IL
Hello everyone,

I found two standards for gauges design, someone know the difference between the two standards, Y14.43 and DIN 7162?
And maybe can recommend on one of them?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Y14.43 corresponds to the dimensioning and tolerancing practices per the ASME Y14.5 standard.

The DIN is standard is probably per DIN/ISO standards, where meanings of specifications are different from the American standard.

The choice between the two is according to what dimensioning and tolerancing standard is referenced on the relevant drawings.

Also, if you are looking for latest and greatest standard, DIN 7162 is outdated.
Superseded by DIN 7150-2 (in German language)
International standard covering (about*) the same area is ISO 1938 parts 1 and 2.
* - not a direct replacement
Like Burunduk mentioned, choose the system you will be using first.

"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert"
Arthur C. Clarke Profiles of the future

thanks you all for the response,

I don't think it's matter which system I will choose, even the ASME standards uses limits and fit of size according to the ISO standard.

I posted the question originally because the DIN 7612 is an outdated standard as CheckerHater also wrote, but still, i notice that a lot of people still use it.

I was not familiar with the ISO 1938 and I tried to look for information about it but I didn't find too much, perhaps because its relatively a new standard.

Maybe I should have phrased the question differently and more generally
- how to design gauges?
- how to choose the tolerance of the gauge?
- what standard do you use for gauges design ?

Your questions are too general. And it does matter which system you work by. Do you need the standard only to design GO/NO GO gages for limits and fits or do you need it for making fixtures for inspection in general?

The foreword of Y14.43 starts by:

"This Standard contains information showing methods for creating gages and fixtures for features that use principles found in ASME Y14.5, Dimensioning and Tolerancing."

Since the "principles found in ASME Y14.5" often differ from those ISO 1101 and the other multiple ISO standards that cover Geometrical Product Specifications, it matters what standard is referenced on the drawings you work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back