Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME Y14_5_2009 Correct Dimensioning with Multiplier 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

appst8design

Nuclear
Mar 30, 2011
US
We are having an internal disagreement at work on the correct way to dimension an ASME Y14_5 2009 drawing. Looking to see if there is a standard out there that I'm not able to find or how other people would approach dimensioning this part.

In the example(attached picture) we have a cut that runs through the entire part

The disagreement is on how we utilize multipliers with linear/ordinate dimensions. Some people are of the opinion you add multipliers for features shown in the view as well as features that are inline behind the view. So if you have a cut that goes through, they are of the opinion you would add a 2X to every dimension to account for the edge behind (see attach picture). My problem with this is it clutters the drawing with unneeded multiplier notes. Other people in the office are of the opinion if it's an inline cut it doesn't receive a multiplier, it only receives a multiplier if it aligns to another edge/feature in the view you're dimensioning (I'll follow up with another picture).

How would you guys use multipliers for linear/ordinate dimensions on this part? Which do feel is correct?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=854d19a9-6575-4a93-b300-51f015d224fb&file=A.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are these dimensions basic?
According to ASME Y14.5, when features are shown aligned on orthographic views and geometric tolerances control their variations, there is an implied zero basic dimension between them.

Just a tip: you can upload an image by clicking the Image icon.

A_zyokxn.jpg

I agree that there is an implied zero basic dimension in the fore-aft features but I believe you still need to specify the qty. Every place I've worked always preferred it this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back