Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly cut options

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodclot

Mechanical
Jan 5, 2006
US
Hi all,
I know this has been addressed back on 08/04 but I was hoping for some new thoughts on the process.

Facts:
We have an aluminum extrusion that gets cut to length and then machined. I have this assembly "built" to reflect the involved processes. To begin, we have a SW part to represent the extrusion. Then it becomes an assembly at the "cut to length" stage with the extrusion becoming the component of the cut. Now we machine the assembly. At the "machined" state of the assembly it consists of 2 components, the cut and the extrusion. Basicly, my assembly is really only 1 part with an assembly of processes. I do understand the issue of not being able to "add" material to an assembly, however I need to remove material.

Problem:
At this stage I need to add chamfers to some of the drilled holes and the chamfer option is well, not an option :( I fail to see any logical reasons why this is the case. This is how we must build these to capture the cost of the individual process. I think this producton process is very common in the manufacturing industry so if someone can please explain why a chamfer option is not available it would be appreciated.

Bloodclot

***** Fear not those who argue but those who dodge *****

Dell Precision 670
3.0 Ghz Xeon Processor
Nvidia FX3450
3 gig of RAM
Dual 19" Viewsonics

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why do you need to do the cut in the assembly as opposed to using different configurations of a part? Is it so that you can have the cut operation as a BOM line item?

This is how our MRP system sees the item. As soon as we add a process like machining, plating, welding, etc. So, yes, you are correct. When I print out an exploded BOM of the assembly, each process has its own line item. It has something to do with capturing the individual process costs. Not sure if this is good or bad but it is how it is. I really try to stay away from that end of the business, besides putting me to sleep it gives me a headache.

Bloodclot

Dell Precision 670
3.0 Ghz Xeon Processor
Nvidia FX3450
3 gig of RAM
Dual 19" Viewsonics

I am totally confused with your "Facts", so don't really understand what you are trying to do.

However, the Hole Series function (check in the Help files) can create chamferred holes in an assy.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​
SW2006-SP5 Basic ... No PDM​

So how do you make the cut show up on the BOM? Do you insert an empty part? If so, why not model the part like you want it and drop in empty parts for each process?

I already did a revolve cut, but I think the hole series would have given me what I need.

Comments welcome....

Bloodclot

Dell Precision 670
3.0 Ghz Xeon Processor
Nvidia FX3450
3 gig of RAM
Dual 19" Viewsonics

handleman - Not sure of the internal workings because all of our BOMs are created by a relationship between our MRP system TIW (workshop) & DBWorks.

Dell Precision 670
3.0 Ghz Xeon Processor
Nvidia FX3450
3 gig of RAM
Dual 19" Viewsonics

Are you making drawings at each stage, or is the sole purpose of this "nesting" to generate the final BOM with processes listed? If you're not making drawings of each, you could just model your finished part and then insert it as many levels deep as you need to. Even if you are making drawings at each stage you could use configurations of the part, buried however deep in the assembly you need.

Does it have to be a BOM table (I'm not familiar with DBWorks)? Could you use a general table linked to the part's custom properties? You could easily set up a general table linked to custom properties named Process1 through ProcessWhateverNumber and save that table as a template. Adding processes would be as simple as typing them into custom properties rather than creating another file.

OK, now I understand ... Using an Indented BOM, the part & sub-assys will show as separate line items. Properties for MRP use are be assigned to each component.

I am soooo glad it is you and not me having to deal with this assinine system. If you have to do this for each part produced, your final-assy-of-assys/parts must be horrific. Whoever dreamt it up should be frog-marched from the building immediately.

The MRP systems I've dealt with had the "manufacturing process" data input manually by personnel who understood the manufacturing processes, and could derive the times involved from a manufacturing drawing.

To allow an MRP system to dictate the product design is ludicrous. I feel sympathy for you, but all I can do is shake my head in disbelief.

[cheers]

handleman - We do not make drawings for each process like cutting to length (length is built into the part number) and casting (model only, no drawing). However, what you say about using config and putting them in as deep as desired is somewhat confusing to me as I am still trying to grasp a full understanding of using design tables & configs. In fact, we do not generate a BOM on the drawing until the finished part drawing which lists all process involved and that BOM is generated through DBWorks. I will pass this info along to another SW user here as well as the DBWorks administrator to see if they like the sound of it.

CorBlimeyLimey - Your sympathies are welcomed, but I have to work with systems in place, however backwards they may be :(

Bloodclot

Dell Precision 670
3.0 Ghz Xeon Processor
Nvidia FX3450
3 gig of RAM
Dual 19" Viewsonics

If you're not making any intermediate drawings, I would recommend just modeling your part as its final form and then just nesting that final part as deep in subassemblies as you need. There's no benefit to adding your features at the assembly level. No need to mess with configurations or anything.

To meet the requirements of the MRP system, I agree with handleman (embedding the finished part) with the exception that I would use configs of the part at each sub-assy (to show the process stage) ... otherwise you end up with multiple files all being, in essence, the same part. At least then the graphical part would match the process part.

[cheers]

bloodclot,

I think we discussed this process for castings. I am working on something similar at the moment. Let's see if I understand what you are doing.

You have material extruded as per your fabrication drawing. You machine this material to produce a functional part as per another fabrication drawing. Your MRP must track the extrusions, and it must track the as-machined final parts. Right?

You have set things up in SolidWorks to allow this. It has the additional advantage that your extrusion is locked up by your PDM software, and is accessible to you on a read-only basis. Only your machining drawing that allows you to remove material is readable. It makes perfect sense to me.

I am still on SW2003, and I cannot do rotations at the assembly level. :(

You can do a chamfer by creating a diameter slightly larger than the hole, then extrude it with a 45_degree draft angle. At some point, a sweep might work too.

I would like to see this stuff implmented too.

JHG

I did redo the chamfer the way you mentioned (ext-cut) with draft outward and it worked great. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bloodclot

Dell Precision 670
3.0 Ghz Xeon Processor
Nvidia FX3450
3 gig of RAM
Dual 19" Viewsonics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back