Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Associative Basic Curves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The problem is that we don't want NEW USERS to even know that the old basic curves are there (but we KNOW that old users, if they really want to use them, will take the time and effort to figure how to turn them on ;-) ). Besides, if we left them easy to find, then the new people would wonder why they have an "old looking" interface and would start asking that we make it consistent with the rest of NX.

As for not creating them "associative", just because they're called "Associative Basic Curves" does not mean that we have not provided an option to create them non-associative. Now you have only one inteface to learn for BOTH Associative and Non-Associative "Basic Curves", which is what we want new users to experience. Also, with respect to your comment about making a "good old-fashioned, non-associative, point to point curve", have you tried creating lines and arcs using the "Lines and Arcs Toolbar" rather then Insert/Curve/Line... or Arc/Circle... ? I think you will find that for quick & simple tasks, it's pretty hard to beat in terms of keystrokes and feedback. Besides, when it comes time to edit one of these "basic curves", you may realize that they being associative can pay some big premiums.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product "Evangelist"
NX Product Line
UGS Corp
Cypress, CA
Phone: 714-952-6032
FAX: 714-952-5758
John.R.Baker@ugs.com

fgbender,

It is possible, in a limited sence, to have 3D sketch curves utilizing associative points with splines connecting the points. The points are driven by a spreadsheet and the splines utilize the points as knot points, which are used to create sheets (which are then sewn together for the solid). As long as the spreadsheet data is set up correctly, modifying the files are relatively simple.

The company I used to work for utilized this approach to develop impellor blades, and I'm using this approach to develop die models to forge turbine blades. My biggest headache is getting the point values into a spreadsheet, given the various data inputs from the customers (iges files, parasolids, 2D curves, point data, etc...).

I sometimes think anything is possible with this software... :)

Regards,
SS
CAD should pay for itself, shouldn't it?

Hi everyone,

this debate about associative basic curves brings up a lot of interesting issues! I therefore also give my point of view:

I'm a NX (ex UG) user for 6 years now, and I am, as fgbrender, a big proponent of the sketcher, however, since ABC appeared in NX3, I also found them very helpful for 3D curves (eg: I design sailing boats for my company, and ABC are very appropriate for doing rigging cables).

Shadowspawn, I'm very interested by what you say about 3D sketch curves (particularly splines), but I can't really figure out how you do them. would you, by any chance, accept to send me an example part :) ?

regards.

John, the Product "Evangelist", is preaching the use of the new ABC’s instead of the old B.C. even with out the AC on. I have tried it. I like the fillet curve on the old B.C. It seems that to use this you need to pre- specify the kind of line you want where the old is intuitive to know by the reference you pick. Fillets trim bounding curves in the old.

I just used ABC. I needed to calculate and adjust spacing for an Instance feature. I cut a section through a freeform face then cut Parallel Planes along the curve. Now I have points that I can put parametric curves on witch gives me an Instance distance and vector for each feature. Now all we need is a truly parametric vector for Instance.

Csbk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back