ASTM 516 Grade 70 Vs ASTM A 537 Class 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

m.wasif

Mechanical
Jan 1, 2017
PK
Hello,

I am fabricating Kettle type heat exchanger from contractor whose specification are as follows:
Service of Shell Side: LPG
Service of Tube Side: Steam
Minimum temperature of LPG : 50 Centigrade
Maximum temperature of LPG : 80 Centigrade
Minimum Allowable Working temperature of shell side: 15 Centigrade
Maximum Allowable Working temperature of shell side: 80 Centigrade
Shell material as per Drawing: R2 (As per Romanian Standard)

I want to know that what is equivalent ASTM standard of Romanian material R2. Also can i use ASTM 516 Gr70 as a shell material in place of ASTM A537 Class 2 in above mentioned conditions.
Als0, what are the minimum allowable temperature limit of ASTM 516 Gr 70 and ASTM A537 Class 2?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Only specifying R2 is probably too little information here for people to help you. Do you have more details, perhaps from as-built drawings w/ material certificates?

Dear XL83NL (Mechanical)
Only R2 is mentioned in drawing, no other details are mentioned. I think its equivalent material is ASTM A 537 Class 2 but not too sure. If it is A537 Class 2, can I use A516 Gr 70 instead of A537 Class 2.

Attached please find two image
1) material conversion table
2)material composition of shell ring

I have taken R3 material and find its conversion as in material composition R3 is mentioned against shell ring material whereas in drawing R2 material is written. In conversion book picture you can clearly see that equivalent of R3 material in ASTM grade is A537 grade B.

For your reference and cooperation.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d474d403-95ec-4d4f-8bd3-bf06e1432ad8&file=IMG_20181002_140648.jpg
m.wasif;
You need to hire a pressure vessel engineering firm to evaluate your material recommendations given the stated design conditions. Any information provided over the internet is guess work, at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back