Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASTM F1554 vs. ASTM 529

Status
Not open for further replies.

qualitychow22

Civil/Environmental
Aug 25, 2017
US
Hi Forum,

My supplier is handing me Mill Certs that conforms to ASTM 529 (carbon-manganese steel)for anchor bolts which should be fabricated and tested under ASTM F1554. I have both the ASTMs and it appears to me that F1554 has stringent quality manufacturing requirements than 529. There is not reference or relationships I can find with these ASTMs. ASTM 529 does not tie into fabricating anchor bolts... Has anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Without knowing these specs, if your PO stated F1554 then all that you should accept are F1554.
That said did you call out the strength level correctly? Any supplementary requirements? Look in section 5 for what your order info should look like.
Now it is possible that these can meet multiple specs, but in any case the one that you specified should be one that is listed.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Yes. ASTM A 529 is not a specification for anchor bolts for concrete foundations. A 529 may be used as a starting material with which to manufacture anchor bolts but certification must come under F1554.

Thanks for the inputs.

A529 does not cover anchor bolts. It doesn't come with any quality inspection and testing for anchor bolts. It meets the chemical composition and physical (tensile) requirements from F1554; however, coming from a quality background, this is not acceptable as this is a poor attempt to work around the F1554.

qualitychow22
You missed my point. The A 529 material would be supplied as bar which could be manufactured into anchor bolts and certified under F1554.

metengr
I see. Under the Remarks section, the mill report states "Also Meets The Requirements of Specification ASTM F1554 Grade 55 .....". I would expect if the manufacturer fabricated the bar into an anchor bolt under ASTM F1554 Grade 55, that a separate COC would state that the material is fabricated and tested under ASTM F1554 Grade 55. One giveaway was that COC for thread conformance was not furnished under F1554.

As many have already stated, ASTM A529 is a steel grade, while F1554 is a fastener specification. Once the steel round bar conforming to ASTM A529 Grade 55 is cut, threaded, bent, headed, or otherwise converted into an anchor bolt, it will then meet the requirements of F1554 Grade 55 provided the mill test reports include tensile, yield, reduction of area, and elongation values meeting the requirements of F1554. In most instances, A529 grade 55 steel will meet the chemical and physical requirements of the F1554 Grade 55 anchor bolt specification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back