Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASTM - Operational Hours & Sampling Testing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul26

Mechanical
Aug 15, 2017
US
Does an ASTM standard exist, across any industry, for a duration before components need to be NDTed?

For instance, if I have a machine that has a maintenance schedule which requires magnetic particle testing (MT) of a specific area once yearly, I am trying to find out if there are any existing standards that can be applied to said machine which would have say 10% of machined components sampled and 5% of welded components sampled and MT or PT tested after say 18,000 operational hours or 10 operational years. This would be on top of the regular annual maintenance.

If no such standards exist, does anyone know of a similar standard for any industry which I may reference? It can reference operational hours, years, cycles, etc.

Many thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you talking about predictive maintenance?
There systems out there that you can use for determining schedules, provided that you have enough data.
In general you are stuck with the manufacturers recommendations, and whatever extensions you see as being prudent.
Is this a machine function issue or is it safety driven? If we are talking about lifting equipment then there is an entire field of work on that.
I know of m any machines that are operated for decades without any NDT whatsoever. It puzzles me why you would have equipment (unless for lifting) that requires testing.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Appreciate the response Ed.

Yes I am talking about predictive maintenance.

Yes it is safety driven.

Specifically, I'm researching this for amusement park rides. There are many ASTM standards for rides, but none with regards to predictive maintenance. This is why I am asking for other industry standards in hope of adopting them.

If there are predictive maintenance standards for lifting equipment, can you point me in the correct direction to research?

If there are any other standards regarding aging equipment, I am all ears (or eyes in this case).

Building amusement park rides versus operating and maintaing are world's apart. Some Jurisdictions in the US have specific inspection requirements for amusement park rides or carnival rides prior to service.

Beyond this, I would defer to the manufacturer who designed and built the ride. They would know best minimum inspection and design criteria. From this, one could develop operating history and inspect critical components on a selected time basis. I would also check with machinery insurers to determine if they have any guidelines for specific inspections and intervals.

This inquiry is with regards to operating and maintaining machines/rides, not building. You are correct each state has their own requirements and inspections for amusement park and carnival rides. However, each state uses the ASTMs as a guide for their own requirements.

I work for the manufacture, hence this inquiry. We (several manufactures) are seeking to set an industry standard for a NDT inspection beyond ~18,000 operational hours or 10 operational years. This has been long talked about in the industry but thus far un-implemented. We would like to have a standard/ASTM to, at the very least, reference going forwards.

The amusement park industry cannot be the first industry to want to create a standard regarding operation of a machine beyond a specified lifespan, can we? And to be clear, we are not saying rides only last 10 years. We have many rides from the 80s and earlier that successfully and safely operate daily. We want to set a precedent for additional checks on older rides.

The manufacture's manuals cover everything asked by the current ASTMs for amusement park rides and more. However, an industry standard set forth via an ASTM would go a long way.

Thank you for the replies and we appreciate the help/guidance anyone can provide.

I would shy away from ASTM and contact ASME Codes and Standards. They might be able to provide input in establishing a document that can be used as a standard for amusement ride inspections.

Why not look into the rules for overhead lifting equipment (cranes, hoists, and rigging).
They might have things that are closer to what you have in mind.
ASTM is a good venue for this since it is a consensus based organization, but I don't think that you will find existing standards helpful.

Thank you for the suggestions.

I have found a wonderful case study regarding cranes' life expectancy by HAAG Engineering.

I'm going to raise (pun intended?) some of the points made for cranes with the ride industry. I expect a rebuttal.

For anyone else interested, here is the link.

Met, you are correct, but I was thinking of some of the industry guidelines that are not Code.
I couldn't remember the name of the SC&RA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back