Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ATEX certification - Associated Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappedagain

Electrical
Jul 19, 2005
US
Our equipment is certified for Class I Division 1 usage in the USA via UL 913/60079-11. The Associated Apparatus has a CE Mark and we self certify via the Low Voltage Directive (2014/35/EU), with supporting documentation from recognized test houses.

We are looking to upgrade from UL 913 to ATEX certification (2014/34/EU), so I'll need a Notified Body (NB) to certify the ATEX data. Is there also a requirement that a NB certify the Associated Apparatus?

Regards,

Z

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I found the answer, and that I had a few things misidentified. For Class I Zone 0 the Associated Apparatus definition stops at the safety barriers that are regulated under ATEX. The circuitry powering the barriers is 'other equipment' covered by the applicable standards. So for ATEX in the EU, your barriers and equipment in the hazardous environment requires ATEX, and the other equipment requires CE Marking.

If you go for CB Scheme or IECEE, then you need ATEX for the barriers and the equipment in the hazardous environment, and CB Scheme documentation for the other equipment.

Z

Since you mentioned the use of IS barriers, i am assuming that your device is Ex ia certified.

As far as i know , the complete loop will have to be certified for IS safety. For this you need to find the entity parameters of the barrier ( L0,C0) and your equipment (say L1,C1). Simple rule is that L0>L1 and C0>C1. The parameter of the cable will have to be also taken into account. Of course, this is ONLY if your equipment itself is Ex(ia) certified.

If its a simple apparatus like say a switch then no need to do this exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back