Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Augmenting Septic Tank treatment in residential application

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmj5152

Chemical
Jan 28, 2005
US
I am building a house on a lot which has no sewer. County health department thinks the water table is too high to allow leach fields for a septic tank. Can anyone help in design of auxilliary post treatment from septic tank system that can be approved by county health officials, and allow me to use water for sprinklers, etc?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When dealing with high water tables in Mass, we mound the systems up to provide separation from the bottom of the system to the seasonal high groundwater (4 or 5 feet depending on percolation rate). This typically requires a pump chamber to dose the system 2-4 times a day. There's a wealth of information on advance treatment systems for residential applications including monitoring results here:

Secondary treatment systems such as the "Bioclere" (Aquapoint), "Advantex" (Orenco) or the various peat systems may qualify for reductions in setbacks, groundwater seperation or loading rate per your local or state regulations. These systems can significant reduce effluent strength. However, the technology is not cheap and will likely require a certfied operator for periodic insepction and maintenance. A residential system can easily cost over $40,000, plus maintenance fees. As you suggested, land application measures may also qualify. Unfortunately, I have not worked with these systems and cannot be if much assistance, but they are typically in the form of a modifed irrigation hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back