Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoCad plug-ins and Flitch Beams

Status
Not open for further replies.

PT999

Structural
Oct 3, 2002
US
Can anyone recommend a good AutoCad 2000 plug in for architectural type drawings, floor plans, elevations, etc.
Something that lets you put in walls, doors and windows without always erasing lines to fit them in.

I know this is a structural engineering site. But I can't be the only PE out there who also does building and framing design.

On a structural engineering question. Flitch Beams...
(2 timber beams with a steel plate in between), exactly what is the maximum length you can design for. Is it a function of plate thickness. Regarding bolts, how is size and spacing figured. Structural bolts are never used, usually Carriage Bolts (not ASTM 325). I figure they are SAE Class 5's to Class 8's. Anybody know what is customary. Probably the bolts are the stuff sold at places like Home Depot.

Ok, these are my questions fo today

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I never thought about the length of a flitch beam before, good question. I guess you'd want the wood to be continuous pieces. It's hard to get 2x12's longer than 24 feet. I think you can get LVL's longer. I have done LVL flitch beams before. If the span get longer than 24 feet you should probably be using a steel beam anyway. I'd be concerned about a floor beam getting bouncy. Also how the beam is braced will impact the length. Although typically you'll have the top continuously braced unless you have some weird transfer girder or something.

For the bolts, I use the bolt design values in the NDS, I think they are for A307 bolt, not sure though. I take the moment and divide by the distance between the rows of bolts to get the shear force along the top and the bottom of the beam.

I have a spreadsheet I made up for flitch beams. Bug me about it and I will e-mail it to you. I'd like someone else to check it over anyway if you are up to it. It's probably still a little rough around the edges.

I've used Architectural Desktop 3.3 with Acad 2000 and found it does everything you're looking for. StruCalc just came out with their latest update and it now includes Flitch Plate beam designs and checks. Looks like you're doing similar work to me. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back