Automatic Lubricators

Status
Not open for further replies.

MedicineEng

Industrial
Jun 30, 2003
HK
Hi All:

I've been studying the possibility to introduce automatic lubrication in our AHUs/Fans/etc. pillow block shaft bearings.
I want to take this task away from our technicians in order to release some manpower to other stuff and also to have some consistency in the lubrication program across the property.
After some research I came across this product.
Link

Does anybody have experience with automatic lubrication and/or with this product in particular?

One doubt that I still wasn't able to clarify is how to calculate the amount of grease to be dispensed per month. I'm afraid of overlubricate the bearing and ending up reducing its life expectancy.

Thanks all

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know that or similar products. They probably do what they promise and dispense a specific amount per month. But as you said, you don't know how much you need. And it only saves maintenance cost if lubricating is the only maintenance. If the device needs some other regular maintenance or inspection, then lubricating or not won't make much difference.
and you also want to inspect those lubricators' so observe it is "stuck" or has some other malfunction.
Even if lubricating is the only maintenance and you really could prevent labor from going to the machine, that may be bad. Because the mechanic lubricating may notice other issues. You lose that incidental inspection of the machine.

BTW, newer or better bearings have maintenance free bearings. The bearings have an end of life at some point, but they typically don't need added lubrication. the eternal injection of lubricant also doesn't solve the main problems wearing down bearings, it is the dirt that gets in. Bearings normally should get cleaned and re-lubed. but no one really does that and neither do those automatic lubricators. IMHO, speccing maintenance free bearings would be better. but AFAIK this only applies to new equipment.

Maintenance free bearings is an oxymoron. Anything that rotates needs maintenance.

I agree that auto oilers are false security as the mechanic will not check the machine for other problems.

Thank you all for your feedback.
The savings in manpower will be fairly minimal per equipment but when we are talking about hundreds of bearings, even a couple of minutes represent quite a few hours in the end of the year.
the remaining maintenance tasks remain unchanged.

My main point is the technician reliability on the lubrication process.
With the automatic lubricator I think I have a better assurance of the amount of the grease dispensed and the regular interval that this is done.

One problem with grease is that grease is a compound of oil and thickener, in addition to materials that cause the oil to stay with the thickener and a host of other possible ingredients.

The problem comes because as the thickener is depleted of oil it becomes a solid and that solid can block lubrication passages. When this happens the (usually) plastic lines carrying the grease can expand enough that the tiny amount dispensed per cycle just swells the tube - and then the next time that port opens, that grease just backs up into the pump or finds another exit. Eventually I suppose the line will rupture, but only if there is no leakage path.

My preference is oilers. Since the material that is leaving the bearing is usually the oil, it makes for a continuous replacement. Since there is no thickener, there can be no solid blockage. I suppose it would be ideal if grease makers supplied a replacement oil for such uses.

Still there is the problem of carrying away wear particles. The main effect of repacking bearings with grease was not just to supply new grease but to remove the oil-depleted thickener and contamination accumulation.

SKF manufacture automatic lubricators that can be set to distribute as much or as little as required, get in touch with Northwest Bearings they've been great for me in the past. I don't think the lubricators are on their site yet but I know they have access to all SKF products. Happy Hunting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back