Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

automatically terminating an analysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalboy

Mechanical
Aug 1, 2005
GB
Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help? I'm trying to find a way of getting an analysis to terminate anutomatically when a spring element is crushed to a predetermined strain / displacement. I guess its along the lines of specifying some sort of constraint between the reference nodes of the spring but i can't seem to find a way of doing this and also i have no experience of using an automatic termination command.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
m.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

metalboy,

I do not know if there is any such command. But an easy way to do this would be to run a preliminary analysis and find out approximate loads etc at which you get in the neighbourhood of required spring displacement. Then you can refine your analysis around that point.

Gurmeet

"Utility routines XIT and XPLB_EXIT can be called from within any ABAQUS/Standard or ABAQUS/Explicit user subroutine, respectively, (except UEXTERNALDB) to terminate an analysis. XIT or XPLB_EXIT should be used instead of STOP to ensure that all files associated with the analysis are closed properly."

You can call them from another user subroutine such as UVARM where you can access any user variable.

Thanks for the advice - I'll give these a try and get back with a response on how it went. have recently been trying to utilise the RIKS method but not sure if that could be applied here....

m.

Sorry, rattled off my response a little quickly, but looks as if you're at work. I suggest you specify one *USER VARIABLE (that you don't need to use), but means you use UVARM to obtain the variable(s) you neede to monitor, then call the termination routine as appropriate.
Good luck.

btw saw your request a day or two ago and didn't have immediate answer. I'm presently helping someone (paid work!) and alighted upon XIT and XPLB_EXIT which I've never used before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back