Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Automoitve frame jig points 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

artracing

Automotive
Nov 15, 2003
US
Is there a data base where I can find the jig or fixture points used on automobile frames during construction.

Rob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So I have to go to companies like Mitchell to buy the data?
Is there any place I can go to see samples of the vehicle
dimensions.

Rob

Three types of locators: pin-hole, pin-slot, surface-clamp.
Generally, the location datas are very important for the dimension control of an auto-body. These datas are kept secrete in the industries unless you are their cooperators.

suibo00@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn

What you mean is the control hole, which is of course on the repair manual.
As you know, there are hundrands of locators in a body-assembly line. Most locators is clamps, which are only used when the body is constructed. When the body is finished, the clamps release, nothing left except the fixing hole. Repairers need not to know where the clamps have been placed, because they are useless after the body has been constructed.
By the way, did you ever seen any manufacturers provide the data of hundreds locators in the repair manual?

suibo00@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn

Greg is right, it is not like it is kept secret. I have found that the information is mostly out in the open, but it is not publicly available (like on the internet).

Why do you need it? If you give us that info you will likely get a better steer. I would expect that you will have a much easier time finding something that would be used in repair as opposed to something that is not normally used in repair and therefore would not be published in as many places.

Also be prepared to interpret the language that the information comes in. Many of the automakers have unique "languages" surrounding their location strategy.

Dave

Hi eveyone~
It's not secret. Stamping/Jig/Inspection Departments share the master control hole(point,section)......it means that they control that positions.
DataBase.... Uhmmmmmmmmm.. there are so many points...after complete BIW, they can't visible except main pin(hole)....they are useless to attach trim part.

Explode the Door trimming part... there are 2 hole in inner,2 hole in glass chasis...it's master control hole.
Before the BIW it is important... After BIW ..it is invisible.

* Between several spot nuget.. there are long space between 2 spot nugget...there are master control point.
In other word, all the spot nuget position can be master control point.

The OEM body repair manuals have the locations for the target points used to locate various critical points during assembly. I picked up some GM ones while I was visiting body engineering, I would assume that you can purchase then from the appropriate auto maker. These books looked like they were written to be used by body shops, since they contained all of the procedures to repair or replace various panels and sections of the vehicle.
This information is not secret, it is used when you are pulling a body back after a colision to know when you have things properly back into location.
I don't think you will find this info at the library or on the net, I think you will have to buy the book to get it.

Ford has most critical dimensions in their factory manuals in the body section. Pre-delivery manuals may also contain these locating holes because some double as tie downs used during shipping.
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back