Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AWS Sub-Arc Essential Variables

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewp29

Mechanical
Jun 17, 2009
US
A customer is rejecting our SAW procedure based on the fact that we do not list whether the flux is active or neutral. We are using an EM12K electrode (wire feed) with an F7A2 flux. Thus the electrode flux classification is F7A2-EM12K-H8 in accordance with AWS A5.17.

The person who reviewed the WPS is just referring me to table 4.5 in AWS D1.1 part 3 which states requalification of a WPS is required if the electrode-flux combination changes, and part 4 which references AWS A5.17.

I do not have A5.17 handy. Could anyone tell me whether the AWS A5.17 standard differentiates using an active or neutral flux as a different electrode flux classification? From what I can tell, all I need on the WPS is the F7A2-EM12K-H8 designation.

Thanks for the help.

Drew

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

drewp29,
The reviewer may be thinking in terms of ASME Sec IX where flux type is an essential variable. ( Active vs. Neutral)
I don't see that same requirement in D1.1.

To my knowledge 5.17 does not address this characteristic other than to provide a fairly detailed review of the differences in the annex.

Keep in mind that other specs are more stringent on changes to flux manufacturers other than that qualified. See API 582 for instance.

Thanks weldtek, I did not see the requirement in D1.1 either. Our WPS is qualified to AWS standards, not ASME or API, so I would expect the reviewer is used to seeing the flux type distinguished on WPS qualified to other codes and automatically expects it to be included on all WPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back