Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Axial Thrust and Viscosity (Pumps)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic123

Mechanical
Mar 9, 2005
US
In centrifugal and axial flow pumps, if we are pumping viscous liquids, does the axial thrust (determined for water) stay the same or does it reduce. If yes, how can we determine the value?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I'm reading you as I think,

"If the motor slows enough to actually matter to a process it's in trouble." I'd say, it depends on the process, as not all processes run continuously at "1750 rpm".

Pipelines can operate at a wide range of flows, so much so that slow motors are sometimes even required. In those cases, VSDs are added to pump driving motors when the flow variability is sufficient to warrent running them slowly for extended periods of time while keeping the motors from burning up in the process.

Yeah that works!

If you have say, a 1725 RPM motor that means 1725 RPM fully loaded. Unloaded it may spin at 1750 RPM. That's where it spends all its(happy) days, between those two speeds. So yes, if the motor is loaded to 70% of its rated load it might spin at 1735 RPM, viscosity goes higher, the motor's load increases just as you've described, until it hits full load at 1725 RPM. Further loading and the motor starts to dip below 1725 at 120% load it may drop down to 1720 (not much) => borrowed time.

Of course a VFD changes all this but the "stiffness" continues.

VFDs are cool devices. Small ones are dirt cheap.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

Coming back to the pump subject here is a quote from Sulzer's Centrifugal Pump Handbook:

The economic duty limit for centrifugal pumps is about 150 cSt. Use of a centrifugal pump is possible up to about 500 cSt, but a higher NPSH must be made available for this higher viscosity. Channel impeller and torque flow pumps allow higher values (800 to 1000 cSt) depending on size and type, although an efficiency loss must be taken into account compared with positive displacement pumps with the same service data.
Reciprocating or rotary positive displacement pumps are employed for still higher viscosities.

BTW, 1 cSt = 10[sup]-6[/sup] m[sup]2[/sup]/s

I've seen both cS and cSt as abbreviations for the unit of kinematic viscosity.

BigInch, I followed your advice, read it, and came to the conclusion that Wikipedia disclaimers aren't much different from those of other famous sources which are indeed "peer reviewed" with disclaimers transcribed by Wikipedia.

That is to say the information given by Wikipedia isn't necessarily unreliable and inaccurate.

My observations referred to "reliable" books. Among them the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, which goes even farther and abbreviates centistoke as cs, and centipoise as cp, both in lower case.

In Engineering Tribology by Stachowiak and Bachelor, from the Elsevier Tribology Series, 24, one finds cP, and cS. QED.

That is surprising. I looked on page 13 of Engineering Tribology and indeed you are correct 25362. He uses S for stokes and cS for centistokes. Then there is the Siemens (invere ohm) from electrical engineering which is also S. Apparently there is more than one convention.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

I know we're digressing, and the subject pertains to the Engineering Language Forum, but I must tell that I was bewildered to see that S was not only the common symbol for seconds, entropy, stokes and siemens, but also sabins (sound absorption), savarts (sound pitch interval),
scruples (apothecaries' mass), seidels (Austrian volumes),
sieverts (radiation dosis), and svedbergs (ultracentrifuge technology sedimentation interval).

If the context isn't clear, to avoid confusion the key would be to write the whole name of the unit. Agree ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back