Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Axis limits within AMG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisAG

Aerospace
Jun 9, 2004
US
I'm having some problems with how my company's post is spiting out code (originally generated in the AMG workbench). The problem comes up with axis limits. Right now I can't find a way to limit the "a" or "c" axis to some absolute rotational value. The post however keeps track of this and trys to correct for any potential over travels by pulling up in Z and unwinding the axis in question then setting back down. You can imagine the potential problems arising from the post editing your code like this.

So far all I have been able to find in the help files is a method for visualizing the envelope of the machine (checking for reach with a model of the NC machine and the part on its bed). I'm hoping someone here might have a clever way to put an absolute limit on a rotational axis actually inside AMG so I can have a better idea of what the code is going to do...

Thanks

TravisAG

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Travis,
I have had simular experiences with 5 axis gantry type milling machines. Ours had a C axis (Primary rotary axis) limits of 360 degrees +/- 1.5 degrees. If the motion exceed the limits the solution was to unwind in the opposite direction 360 degrees to the compliment tool axis vector and continue cutting. Not good if B axis (Secondary rotary axis) was anything but at Zero. (Which is usually why C axis is in motion anyways). Having a post to create a solution such as you described seems good on paper but takes the control of the cutter path away from the programmer. Unfortunately what I've been doing is a vector analisys of the MCD and locating the unwinds manually. Large margin for error and seemingly a step back from having the post add clearance motion at the axis limits in the program. A solution would be for the post to track the tool axis vector at the momment of the unwind, rotate 180 degrees about the tool axis vector and continue cutting. Don't know if this is possible but seems like it would work. If you come up with fix please follow it up with a post to your thread.
Thanks, Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back