Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

BACB30FM Test Report "Too Short" 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metalsmythe1977

Aerospace
Aug 25, 2009
US
I'm looking at a Quality Assurance And Reliability Test Report for a batch of BACB30FM8-6 pins we recieved and under the "Ultimate Tensile Strength/Pounds" column the entry reads "too short". The same entry was made in the "Tension/Tension Fatigue Life/Cycles" column.

Any concerns I should be aware of?

Respectfully,
Metalsmythe77

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

what a curious comment ... "too short" ? are the pins understrength to spec, or what ?? i'd ask the people who made the report what they mean.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Thanks Gents; I plan to call the manufacturer and ask the same question. I suspect "too short" means that the fasteners would not fit into their test apparatus.

Respectfully,
Metalsmythe77

Metalsmythe1977, all... very odd response from Your vendor...

NASM1312-8 FASTENER TEST METHODS, METHOD 8, TENSILE STRENGTH

1. SCOPE
1.1 Applicability. This method covers a procedure for testing all types of structural fasteners in axial tension at room
temperature. This procedure is intended to define the test required to determine the tensile strength of the fastener
itself, not the strength of the fastener in any combination of sheet materials, sheet heat treat levels, or sheet
thicknesses.

FIGURE 1 – TENSION FIXTURES FOR SHORT GRIP FASTENERS

There are tension-test fixtures for short-grip fasteners.

Regards, Wil Taylor

Trust Me! I'm an engineer!

Trust - But Verify!

We believe to be true what we prefer to be true.

For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible.

Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant – "Orion"

Wil,
I spoke with the manufacturing company engineer about this and he said that the "too short" entry was due to the fact that the pin grip length(.375") is below 2X the diameter(.500"). He cited Procurment Specs BPS-F-67 REV AL and HS342 REV AG (which are referenced on the Test Report)and which allow for ommitting these tests for short grip fasteners. I have not been able to access the procurment specs.

Respectfully,
Metalsmythe77

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back