Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Background Color To White

Status
Not open for further replies.

gedkins

Mechanical
May 11, 2001
US
Want to change the background of new parts to plain (not graduated) and to be white. I assume the ug_english.def file. What lines need to be changed?

TIA

Guy Edkins

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't have the NX2 ug_english .def file to reference, but in NX1 the lines are "UG_default_shaded_background_type:" and "UG_default_wire_background_type:"

I assume then the argument is plain vs. graduated. I have done this and it had no effect on UG. The file I edited is in the UG directory. Do I need to copy it elsewhere to get NX "see" it. Will this alone make the background white?

Guy Edkins

You don't need to copy the edited file. Have you rebooted since the change?
No, this alone won't make the background white, just plain. I don't know of a setting in the ug_english.def file to set up the plain background color. But there is a way around it; set the background default to graduated, then change all of the default colors in the lines for the graduated background colors (just below the default background type lines) to the number that corresponds with white.
I wish I could be of more help, but without NX2 loaded, I can only going by memory and my copy of the NX1 ug_english.def file. Someone else here may be able to point us to where the plain background default color setting is.
Remember to save a copy of your original ug_english.def file so that you can easily restore it.

First off, this setting is session dependant, meaning it will NOT take effect until you re-start UG.

Now, you need to know FOR SURE which customer defaults file you're using. If you're working in English units, then it's ug_english.def. If you're working in metric units, then it's ug_metric.def. If you're working in a custom environment, such as the GM PDL Toolkit, then you need to find the .def file that the custom environment is using.

When you have found the correct customer defaults file, search for:

UG_shaded_graduated_background_color

or

UG_wireframe_graduated_background_color

Each individual line is an RGB value (red, green, blue). Set all of your values that are not commented out to 255 & that will result in your background always being white, regardless of whether in shaded or wireframe display mode. Don't worry about the background being set to graduated, as there is NOT a setting (that I am aware of) for controlling the background if you set it to plain.

Hope this helps.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back