Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup recorder vibration setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckW100

Aerospace
Jun 22, 2007
CA
Hi,

Our vibration setup at work inputs charge from piezoelectric accelerometers into a VXI3242A amplifier which is set to a gain of 0.1mV/g which cannot be changed. The M+P control software has no provision in it to alter the gain of the VXI.

The problem is the backup outputs level is unity gain so the signal is very low and below the usable range of the recorder which is TEAC LX-10. How can I get a usable signal the recorder?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To add a bit more info the gain of the VXI is fixed so I was thinking to add a 10x amplifier to the outputs of the VXI. The problem is the engineer will analyze the data afterwards of the vibration in time domain so he would need to reduce the level by a factor of 10. Anyone ever have a similar problem as this? Thanks in advance.

The M+P control and analysis software keeps the gain set to 0.1mV/pC to maintain a very high dynamic range. There is no provision in the software to change the gain setting and it is not settable by an exterior switch on the amplifier itself as were some older amplifiers. My only thought on the situation is to add a 10x amplifier to the amp outputs to boost the signal to the recorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back