Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bad Welds 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhiggins

Structural
Oct 15, 2016
US
For your viewing pleasure. Caught by third party inspector.

bad_welds_lhfdrk.png

bad_welds2_oq3vnp.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey, how's come someone managed to see my "work" with my under $100 flux core 100V "welder". Darn wire comes out faster than the weak arc can melt it. You get what you pay for holds true.

I think I might have been able to make a better weld; and the most welding I've done is hold an electrode in my hand and make buzzing sounds.

Please tell me the owner promptly booted them off of the job. Either that or award them with the "shittiest field-weld of the year" award.

Ian Riley, PE, SE
Professional Engineer (ME, NH, VT, CT, MA, FL) Structural Engineer (IL)
American Concrete Industries

Welding is easy right..... Keep adding more weld until it sticks together, followed by keeping on adding more until all the bad looking bit are covered up, shit more bad bits keep happening, keep going... my luck must change sooner or later once I get the hang of it... times up, inspectors arrived...

Celt83 said:
As bad as that weld is they didn't burn the wood structure down so that's a plus right.

I suspect the timber was added afterwards. Due to the limited access and observed weld quality, this might not be true however. But given how close the timber is to the weld I think it would be an issue and you'd see some effect on the timber from the heat.

This project is located in Austin, Texas. It is cheaper and commonplace in this area for steel HSS tube frames like this to be field cut and welded. The overall quality of construction in Austin is very high and work is frequently inspected and tested so issues like this is very rare.

It looks like the contractor added the entire roof wood framing before getting the welds inspected, not good...

The inspector was "Justin's Welding", a small local firm.

Shortly after the report was released the contractor called our office asking to pass the welds..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back