Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Balloons keep hiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlbud

Mechanical
Mar 7, 2005
US
I am having trouble with balloons. I have two views on an assembly view drawing sheet. I use one for the hot half of my mold cavity and one for the ejector half. These views are of the same assembly, but are different display states to show the appropriate components.After I create my BOM, I balloon these two views and everything looks great. Then after a rebuild the balloons on the second view (the one not used to create the BOM) disappear. If I select hide/show annotations from the View Menu, the balloons appear in light gray and I can select them and they will show in black. Then anytime a rebuild occurs, for any reason, these balloons disappear again and I have to go through the same procedure again to get them to show up again. I tried Keep Linked to BOM checked and unchecked and it had no effect. Does anyone have any ideas on anything I can try differently?
Thanks,

Carl
Dell M70
SW 2007 SP1.0

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My video card is certified but the driver is not the certified version for my card. It instead is the nvidia latest version. I used the Solidworks version for a while, but had several crashes (blue screen) which were caused by the video driver. Dell recommended that I use the later nvidia version and with it I have no trouble.

I didn't think it was a driver issue because the balloons show up as hidden and I can unhide them and they look fine. They just become hidden again. Plus it only seems to pertain to balloons from 1 particular view.

I will experiment with some smaller assemblies and configurations as well.

Thanks

Carl
Dell M70
SW 2007 SP1.0

I just found that what happens is that when I have my EJ Half display state active in the assembly then those balloons are fine and the Hot Half balloons disappear in the drawing. Same thing the other way. But if I have the Complete cavity display state active in the assembly then they all show up fine in the drawing. Let me know if you get the same results.
Thanks,

Carl
Dell M70
SW 2007 SP1.0

Alright, I will upgrade to 3.0 and see if that helps, but at least I now know how to make them show up.
Thanks for your help CBL,

Carl
Dell M70
SW 2007 SP1.0

Another factor in this is that I am using a custom property (det #) in my BOM and in the balloons. I just tried a simple assembly using the item number to populate the bom and the balloons and the display states did not affect them. When I changed to the custom property in the balloons then they only showed up in the drawing if they were visible in the active display state of the assembly.

Carl
Dell M70
SW 2007 SP1.0

I changed my views to use different configurations instead of different display states and everything seems to work fine. This is probably the best solution to the problem of disappearing balloons.
I like display states because they are so easy to create using the isolate command, but the different configurations are just as easy to create using the display states.

Carl
Dell M70
SW 2007 SP1.0

I guess that kind of makes sense then. Even though having multiple Display States on one drawing may not be the best practice, (one part , one drawing, yadayada...) it makes it confusing if all the parts cannot be ballooned.

I don't know if this would be considered a bug or a candidate for an ER. Perhaps you should find out what your VAR thinks about it.

[cheers]
SW07-SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back