Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Barrier Plate Design Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjalex1

Structural
Jan 3, 2012
US
I have a project in which a section of a concrete barrier (+/- 10') will be cut out for a tench to replace a hydrant lateral.I have another project that will eventually replace the barrier in its entirety but that won't be for another 6 or months or so after this trenching project ends. I have to put in a temporary barrier plate or possibly fill with concrete. What is the design procedure for a temporary barrier plate and, is there a better option?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

High speed, low speed roadway, high volume, low volume, wide median, narrow median, etc? Barrier systems are selected by speed and volume; the designs are based on the appropriate AASHTO test level. I'm bringing this up because of the liability issue. There's a number of things that can be done but it depends on the site conditions.

Attached is a detail for a closure plate for concrete barriers; I'll post another one also. These have been used on interstates in NYC BUT they're only good for 5-feet.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b5879caf-bcc4-48aa-810e-ba1ef48ced55&file=Steel_Barrier_Details.pdf
It's a limited access road that carries high speed traffic in NYC and it's average daily volume is about 280,000. The median varies from 18" to 3.5'.

If this is a NYSDOT project you can't use their closure plates for 10'. They won't allow anything that isn't crash tested. If it's a NYCDOT project, they'll defer to the State policy. Six months is a long time. I have a few ideas:

Reconstruct the barrier.

Backfill the trench within the median, put in a 10' piece of temporary concrete barrier, sandwich it between two thrie beams anchored to the permanent barriers.

Backfill the median and install temporary concrete barrier on both sides of the permanent barrier. You'll need flared sections at the leading edges. However, if the median is only 18" in your work area you'll need to restripe the lanes.

Heavy post guardrail.

If you're on a parkway, you might be able to get away with thrie beams or box beams bolted to the permanent barrier.

Look at Chapter 10 of the NYSDOT HDM Link

Out of curiosity, can you disclose what road the project is on?

I worked briefly on a handful of PA projects. One was on the Jersey of GWB about 12 years ago; don't know if it ever was built. Then a small repair job two years ago. There's a group here wrapping up a GWB project on the NY side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back