Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Base Plate for Cantilevered PIPE Column 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeremyBraggPE

Structural
Aug 10, 2005
US
I've seen threads for cantilevered columns, but all information I have come across such as AISC Design Guide 1 seems to be specific to wide flange columns. Also, I have found an article for pipe column base plates, but it was for gravity loading. Is there any sort of guide to design a base plate for a round hollow section that is subjected to moments?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Mike.

I couldn't find anything in a general search, but after wading through 33 pages of this forum, I found a similar question. I don't know how I missed it, but there is a small section in the AISC Design Guide that references how to treat tube and pipe. I will definitely check out the RISA reference. Thanks again.

page 16 of design guide one states base plates for round or rectangular columns can be designed with the provisions developed for wide flange columns.

is all it's getting is a cantilever load or is it getting axial as well? if it's the former, you'll have to design the base plate for bending and uplift on the back side fastener's as well (depending on how you connect it to your ground or what have you).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back