Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Base Plate Hole Sizes - Cantilever & Moment Frames

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatMan

Structural
Feb 23, 2014
US
AISC Design Guide 1 lists recommended hole sizes of the base plate with respect to anchor rod sizes. These are much larger than AISC 360.
My questions is if the hole sizes of the base plate is that much larger than anchor rods to accommodate tolerances and erection, should the base plate be sized as slip critical?
For a cantilever or moment frames that takes some shear, the design guide recommends transferring the shear through friction or welded washer, but I have not seen this calculation done anywhere.
Or is it more or less of, "if it slips, then it goes into bearing, so what"...?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Slip critical connections are only made with high strength bolts (A325 or A490) so trying to achieve a slip critical connection with anchor rods won't really work.

For oversized base plate holes, the gap is made up for using additional washer plates with standard holes, that are placed over the rod extensions and then welded to the base plate.
We usually use a washer plate of 1/4" x 2" x 2" or something similar.

We also take significant base plate shear through embedded plates or other configurations - not usually through bolt shear, which I believe AISC frowns upon.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back