Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Base plate with high shear loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

malikasal

Structural
Nov 17, 2013
AE
I have a base plate that conects a small stub to a core wall ,the problem is i have a huge shear value, i am considering assuming that the friction between the base plate and the grout will help me in the shear resistance, but the truth is i am not comfortable with this concept, did anyone try this before??

I know design guide 1 approves this criteria but still i am not comfortable?? any ideas???

ôIf you don't build your dream someone will hire you to help build theirs.ö

Tony A. Gaskins Jr.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi
A sketch might help us to understand your problem better.
I would never rely on friction between two faces, if would put either a shear key or numerous fasteners with a good safety factor and any friction generated would be a bonus in my humble opinion.

I have used the friction before. As mentioned above it is somewhat unreliable, but I have used it with prestressed anchors, so you know that there is going to be some compression force at the interface.

I've certainly used friction where I've felt that it was appropriate to do so. Do you have a permanent, reliable, compressive axial load? Or is there a moment that will always accompany the shear? It would help if we knew more about your situation. Fall arrest anchor?

If you go with friction, consider specifying an expansive grout such as Sika 212. A little precompression in the grout is good insurance.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

I would set the baseplate down into the core wall, maybe 4 to 8" or so, depending on what load you need to resist, and fill in around it with non-shrink grout to the height of the wall to tackle the shear problem.

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back