Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Baseplate design when column is under net tension

Status
Not open for further replies.

GalileoG

Structural
Feb 17, 2007
CA
Hello all.

Where can I find information on baseplate design when the column is subjected to net tension? AISC Steel Design Guide 1 does not have anything on this.

Perhaps I should do a FEA model? I'd like to do it by hand if possible though.

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

It can be easily calculated by hand, and here are some tips:

Bolts design

Tension capacity which is lesser of tensile strength of bolt and/or concrete pull out load ( given by supplier of bolts)

Note: As pointed out by others, because of T-Stub action there will be prying force in the bolt. You must add this to calculated force in each bolt.

Plate

Dimension the thickness of plate for shear and bending caused by forces in bolts. Draw a free body diagram and consider possible failure mechanisms.

An interesting thing in such scenarios is that the stiffness of plate effects prying force and hence total force in bolt, which in turn effects the thickness of plate. For economy there will be a balancing act until you get an optimal plate, and ofcourse it depends on number of such connections.

Goodluck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back