Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic FEA program in Basic

Status
Not open for further replies.

alliedeng

Chemical
May 6, 2001
US
I use Abaqus in my daily work and would like to build my own FEA program in Visual Basic. I know it will not have anywhere the capability, flexibility, or convergence but I want to have a smaller program to solve small problems with out the LARGE cost of commercial FEA codes. Does anyone know of a basic FEA program I can get to build upon?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

alliedeng,

Ahh, not to sure about VB, but you may want to take a look at the thread on Why not MATLAB for FEA? (thread727-23499) for a similar point of view.
Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Chandrupatla and Belegunda have an introductory book. In the first few printings, all programs were written in BASIC and were available as an included disk in the book. I know the most recent still has an add-on disk, and I would assume it is still written in BASIC.
Brad

search the internet for FEAP - it is downloadable code written in Fortran by RL Taylor who shared the authorship of the Finite Element Method with Zienkewicz. As for VB..... I dont think it is the right platform for this especially with the absence of some crucial maths libraries which you will need for this stuff. Best thing would be to package this up with a VB interface. Anyway happy hunting!!

Thanks all. I have developed a series of mathematical routines for VB. I mostly work in Fortran on Unix machines so this is just what I want. Now just to get some time to do the convert. I'll try to put on website when done.

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back