Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beam Span length 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

releky

Structural
Oct 31, 2013
PH
When one say beam span, is it the clear span of the beam or the span from center of one column to another?

Does it vary with different codes?

For example. My beam has length of 5.2 meters clear span but 5.65 meters center to center of the supporting columns. So is my beam length 5.2 or 5.65 meters in general use?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Per ACI 318 (you may not be using this code):

Span for members not built integrally with the support = Clear span + depth of the member (but not more than center-to-center distance)
Span for beams that ARE built integrally with the support = Clear span
Span for frames or continuous construction - center to center of supports

Isn't "beams that ARE built integrally with the support" the same as monolithic beam-column joint?

In the third case, are you referring to continuous beam? But taken in isolation, you can consider a span as "beams that ARE built integrally with the support".. so the second and third case can apply to either. Please clarify.

ACI 318-11 Section 8.9 provides the definitions of span used for analysis purposes. If you re using another code, I am sure it defines the span for analytical purposes.

This is not actually a "code" question. YOU, the engineer, have to know what the term means in the context in which it is being used. If someone tells you that "The span length is xxx....", and you aren't sure exactly what dimension they are referring to, then, it is your responsibility to clarify the term with them. No code I'm aware of can reduce your responsibility in the matter.

If the term is used in a specific code, the code should clearly define the term. If it doesn't... and you're not sure of the correct definition, it's still your responsibility to come up with a decent concept of the term in order to do your work in a responsible way. Once again though.... the responsibility is still on you to interpret things in a reasonable way (through research, logic, conversation with others, etc, etc).

Dan :)

In my experience, "span" is the distance between support centerlines and "clear span" is the distance between the support faces.

Michael.
"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ~ Tim Minchin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back