Beam Splice - Welded with Limited Access 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deener

Mechanical
Aug 30, 2018
CA
Hey guys,
Contractor is requesting to splice a beam for easier installation access. These beams are placed below a slab (grout gap) and are used to support the existing slab for additional equipment (heat exchangers). The contractor has requested the following splice. All fillet welds occurring in place in the field. Although this is a splice detail I'm not used to seeing, as long as the welds and splice plates are properly sized,I see no issue with this design. Flange splice plates react the maximum moment in the beam with a couple and put the splice fillet welds in shear. Single web splice plate transmits the peak shear in the beam through a fillet weld. Beams will be installed with a nominal gap of no more than 1/8" if any. From a design perspective, specifying a CJP weld would be much easier but I suspect not as practical.

image_nagxmq.png

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please start your own thread and include a lot more detail than you did in this quick question. Your question lacks all detail, and I'm not certain what you're trying ask. Sketches, drawings, etc. help a lot, too.

@ retired13,

I'm going to say NO CRACK with fairly confidence, because this was part of a large batch of welding tests, and an accredited laboratory, together with the supplier quality representative of the end client evaluated each macro (and all tensile/impact/bend testing) on the original image (with the piece on the microscope).
Some of them were rejected on tiny details but this made it through, so it's safe to say it's a good one.

I'm glad somebody had a good look at this macrography.
You did make me double check the report. I see no indications of hot cracks or centre line cracks in any of the other images, could be a slight over etch or shadow in the picture, because indeed the picture does show something at the latest point of solidification.

Please tell me the tags you used to put the image directly in the body of your message?

kingnero,

The only trick is the use of keyboard combination "Shift+Window Key+s" to copy the object on your monitor screen that you like/want to the clipboard, then drop it onto any graphical processing program by click on the open window, then "Ctrl+v". I use "Paint" came with the window OP system to do markups. After editing, reverse the process, drop it back to the thread using the "Image" button on the tool bar to open a drop box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back