Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bearing Frequency Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

flacrkr

Industrial
Aug 5, 2003
US
I am looking for an ACCURATE calculator software supplier for bearing frequencies. I currently have The Bearing Expert from International Source Index Inc. and am finding some serious descrepencies with between it and manufacturers info. i.e. - # of rollers,dimensions, etc.
Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look to software called Kuegellager (v4) from University of Aachen in Germany. At least for angular contact bearings it is excellent match to real world measurements.

Alex

You can easily write your own calculator using Excel. You will need to know the internal geometry of the bearing, which can be obtained from the manufacturer. I can send you the spreadsheet we use for doing these calculations. If you have SKF bearings, they have a frequency calculator in their web site tools.

Why do fault frequencies change:
1 - bearing manufacturs may periodically change their bearing designs slightly. The SKF6308 that you buy today may not have same fault frequency as the one installed in your pump 5 years ago.
2 - Bearing fault frequency depends upon contact angle which in turn may depend on loading. Can change for example with changing load on a pump which changes the axial load on the bearing.
3 - Extreme wear can have a slight effect.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

My comments about load and wear were addressing slight deviations in fault frequency - perhaps 1% or less. If you are talking about bigger deviations these are probably not applicable.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back