Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bending ALUM 6063-T52, 1.50" OD X .125" WT, 4" CLR possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolDude003

Mechanical
Apr 11, 2012
US
Hello all,

I am in a bit of a desperate situation. Our company has a potential huge order that requires bending aluminum tube.
Like my title says, I want to know if I can make a 90° bend on ALUM 6063-T52, 1.50" OD X .125" Wall Thickness with a 4" center line radius, no mandrel?
This seems to be the only material I can obtain that has the best bending capability. I really wish I could get a sample so we could test it out, but all of the vendors I talked to say they need us to order $500+ worth of tube. That's a lot of money to throw away for my small company. Would anyone know if this bend would be okay without any cracking or excessive oval-ing(slight oval-ing is okay)?

Thank you!!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Where are you located? McMaster-Carr has short lengths of .060" wall tubing available in that o.d., or 1-5/8 x .205 wall also.

But, I don't think you can bend to that CLR without a mandrel, and even then it may want to buckle and tear. A 50xx alloy might be more formable.

Sherman, Tx. An hour north of Dallas. We really can't deviate from 1.50" od x .125" wall. The largest CLR bend die we have is 4". We actually just ordered 24 ft of 6063-t52 to test on. fingers crossed... I'll look into 50XX grade. thanks.

6063 will bend, but the T52 temper will give you some issues with a tight radius. You can heat and bend. Consider lower temper (T1) or dead soft (6063-O,fully annealed). T52 is a T1 temper with artificial ageing. Strength will be reduced with lower temper.

You did not mention what type of bending equipment you have. If you are using a rotary bender, what is the reason for not using a mandrel? A 90deg bend with a CLR greater than 2.5 times the tube OD should be possible using a typical rotary bender with a mandrel. There will likely be some wall thinning, but there shouldn't be any cracking with 6063-T52 alum.

If you use a rotary bender without a mandrel, you will likely have some appreciable amount of flattening in a 90deg bend. If you don't want to use a mandrel (for whatever reason) you might get better results using a process like press bending. There are also processes like empty bending that you might consider.

Good luck.
Terry

We want to avoid spending money on a mandrel if we can. It's reassuring to hear you say no cracking should occur. We're gonna have our fingers crossed that this test piece works out. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back