Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

best glue for nylon fabric and for protecting seams

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevetremblay

Mechanical
Sep 1, 2012
CA
Hello

What is the best glue or sealant for bonding nylon fabrics together and for protecting seams from elements (rain,snow). The glue or sealant must be flexible and had little elastic proprety. The temperature of exposition range from -15C to 50C.

Anyway thanks for any advice.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sailmakers use silicon glue on nylon spinnakers.
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

Thanks berkshire for the tip and I really appreciated for your help. I already tried silicon sealant but it is too "thick" or too viscous. I need something fluid enough to "wet" deeply the fabrics and to fill gaps between fabrics and stiches holes (something that has surfactant proterty). Do you know any solvant that I can use to make silicon glue more fluid ?

Many silicone sealant grades, particularly those sold into construction and home repair, contain inexpensive inert ingredients intended primarily to increase the bulk of the product as sold.

You probably should consult with the manufacturers directly, and seek something with a lower than usual viscosity.

My first guess about that would the 'self leveling' grades used in electronics, but there may be other appropriate candidates as well.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Thanks berkshir for your thought. Hot glue for fabric could be an another good candidate.

I want to apologize to you guys and gals for ommiting, at the beginning, to give you more details regarding why I need a glue to bond the nylon fabrics. Actually, I need this glue for my minimalistic running shoes and trail shoes, like vibram fivefinger, altra adam and etc.

These type of shoes are very flexible and strechable (glove like) because they were made for not interfere any biomechanic natural foot mouvement. The huge problem with these shoes is the fabrics are not durable. Most of time, the fabrics start to tear down at the stitches and the seams start to unravel even though the rubber sol is still in a good shape. It is for these reasons that I'm looking for a glue that can help reduce the stress concentration of the fabrics and also for preventing seams unraveling. It is why the glue (or sealant) must flexible, strechable and wettable.

And thanks again for your helps

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back