Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best mesh for a circular surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

shingouz

Dec 22, 2011
FR
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the second case(mesh2.jpg) in the center of your circle the mesh has incorrect shape. You can't do that in this way.
You should improve your mesh, please take a look at the attachment.

PS. The sweep meshing in your case seems to be the best solution.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e31a8a71-ec49-4143-955a-7dbd9adbf4c4&file=pattern.JPG
Hello Lukasinski,

Thanks for your answer, but can you explain why the mesh2 is not appropriate? (suppose I use triangular volumic elements instead of hexaedric ones)

If you want to keep the shape (more or less) of the second mesh (which is not advisable as previously mentioned), you could replace the center elements with wedge (extruded triangular) type elements.
But clearly, the mesh proposed by Lukasinski is better. Also, your meshing should depend on your area of interest!

Hello Lukasinski,
could you explain me how have you done the mesh of your attachement (pattern-1)?? Thanks a lot!

Hello
Divide your circle to 5 areas ( 1 inner square + 4 equal sub areas ) this will lead you normally to a structured mesh
Good luck

Thanks shingouz but it doesn't work... the problem is that Im meshing a cylindrical part in 3D by using swept meshing. im trying to obtain a good mesh for the circular surface and swept it along the lenght until the other circular surface. I have try to do as you advised me but I dont get the same resutls (see attachment)

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8df5c054-4ca6-47e2-b2c6-6c882bfbe59d&file=cylindrical_part.png
Use Cell partition module to partition divide all(three dimensional) part into single parts.

Hi,
I am trying to partion an concave circular part to apply the mesh you suggested.
Unfortunately I just couldn't partion the square.
Any idea?

Thank you in advance.

This seems like a good thread to post this question in, apologies if it is not.

What is the best way to mesh a solid sphere? The only technique I have had any success with is tet elements but I would like to use hex.
Anybody have any tips on how to partition it to get a nice mesh with hex elements?

Thanks!

I am trying to do a 2D mesh for a crack tip. I was looking to do a spider-web mesh (similar to "mesh2" above). How do you get it do a circular pattern? I can do that if there is a hole in the middle but not with out that. For the crack tip there also needs to be multiple nodes at the tip that deform independently. If anyone can help with doing the spider-web or something that can give similar accurate results that would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back