Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Best Motor Starting Contactor/Starter 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxhoundme

Mechanical
Sep 30, 2003
US
Who has the best motor starting contactor/starter? I am in the market for a reliable electromechanical motor starter rated at 480V with 22Amps. I researched the following manufacturers such as Square D Company, Allen Bradley, Cutler Hammer, Siemens and General Electric. Can someone provide their best argument for either manufacturer's starter product?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ScottyUK,

All three breakers are the same as you observed. AB and Siemens AG have both bought Westinghouse/Cutler Hammer breakers for many years. Brand labeling for AB started earlier this year, I think they only sold replacements previously. As a former employee of Siemens in the US I never could understand why they didn't market their own product as they own the ITE brand.

Kitha,
Since I was the only one named, I felt like I was being
misquoted.
No offense taken, I just like keeping the record straight.
I couldn't agree more, this is an excellent fourum.

Best regards,
Afterhrs

Hard to let go of this discussion, off topic or not. Feedback on quality and who makes what is very interesting.

I echo CHDEAN, why don't companies take a little more pride in their own engineers and let them design and build their own products.

ScottyUK - What is "badge engineering"?

PUMPDESIGNER

Foxhoundme,
Did you ever decide wich contactor you were going to
purchase.

This thread did get off subject, but everyone has an opinion on quality. I am sorry for any inconvience
this may have caused you.

Best regards,
Afterhrs

Suggestion: The original posting is fairly representative what experienced electrical equipment procurers are after. There is nothing new or special about it.

Hello PUMPDESIGNER,

The term "badge engineering" applies to the private branding of common products. That is, it is not uncommon to find (for example) a single circuit breaker product marketed under several different brand labels.

Regards,
GGOSS

dpc posted Oct 1, 2003 “…low voltage MCCs are something of a commodity product in the US…”

I agree with dpc that statement holds in many cases, but sometimes another thing happens. If production loss can be shown to repeatedly be caused by a particular series of components, on some occasions operations people can persist long enough to disqualify those components at the pre-procurement stage. There are plants that sole-source motor-control equipment, for the favored components have historically increases profitability and reduced maintenance costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back